I'm not a nutritionist. I'm not a fitness expert.

I am a 57 year old woman who has never felt more healthy and fit in my entire life. Five years ago, at 52, I weighed about 80 lbs. more than I do now. I felt much older, with stiff joints and back aches and no energy. And don't even ask about clothes!

My goal was not just weight loss, but to get healthier. I did not "go on a diet," I did not count calories or carbs. I made lifestyle changes, a little at a time. I tried to eat healthier and move more. You can do this, too. You can make changes to look, and more importantly, feel healthier and fit. You don't have to be overweight to be unfit. You will feel a difference in strength, energy, stamina and flexibility. I'm talking to you, men, too!

I can tell you how I did it. Not everything I do will be right for you. Through posts about my progress; tips and ideas about nutrition and exercise; links to sites I like and find helpful, I hope to inspire others to get fit and healthy and encourage a community of support and an exchange of ideas. And have a little fun on the way! Much of our information will be about local Cape Ann sites - walking and bike routes, gyms, types of exercise, yoga studios, good buys on healthy food - but Guests and commenters from anywhere are welcome as well.

Okay, I know you all want to know. Right now I'm wearing a pair of Levis - size 8. A comfortable size 8!

Twenty year old daughter:
"Mom, why are you wearing my clothes?"
Mom: "Because I can!"

Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Find Out What You Are Eating

About.com is one of my favorite websites. They have a great health and fitness section. My favorite tool there is the Food Browser. You can find detailed nutritional data for thousands of food and beverage items - brand names, supermarket brands, fast food, restaurants and much more. Not just calories - get the scoop on sodium, carbs, protein and fat content.

I work near a Dunkin Donuts and I sometimes walk over for a mid-afternoon caffeine hit. On occasion, if I hadn't brought a snack from home, I would get a corn muffin. Toasted, no butter. Of all the DD offerings, I thought I was making a healthy choice. How bad could a plain corn muffin be? One day, back at my desk with my coffee and muffin, I checked the Food Browser to find out.

That's not a snack, that's lunch! A pretty unhealthy one. 510 calories of sugar and fat!!

If you are trying to eat healthy or cut back on calories and you aren't feeling results, find out what you are really eating. It can help you make healthier choices.

I didn't find Joey's Mushroom Soup listed there, though!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, Cathy, Yoo gotsta be the purdeeist thang south of the Little River!! I got a question. I'm tryin ta slim down a might myself, walkin, workin out, etc. I got one teensy problem though. I used to tell myself I could quit Payday candy bars anytime I wanted, but I'm finding it just isn't true. I see them red, white and blue wrappers with all those luscious peanuts and I just go apesh*t. What should I do?

Thanx,

OH

Cathy said...

Congratulations on your efforts, Mr. OH. Last time I saw you, I did notice that you were looking a little soft. You should be looking and feeling much better in no time!

Try replacing that Payday candy bar with a Clif brand Builder's Bar. It has a few more calories and about the same amount of sugar, but it has far less fat and is loaded with Vitamins C, E and A and thiamin. It's also bigger and packs 20g of protein! If you're going to consume those calories, you might as well make them nutritional calories. My favorite flavor is the Peanut Butter one - it's tasty and should satisfy that sweet craving.

Hope that helps!

Cathy :)

Post a Comment