I'm not a nutritionist. I'm not a fitness expert.

I am a 57 year old woman who has never felt more healthy and fit in my entire life. Five years ago, at 52, I weighed about 80 lbs. more than I do now. I felt much older, with stiff joints and back aches and no energy. And don't even ask about clothes!

My goal was not just weight loss, but to get healthier. I did not "go on a diet," I did not count calories or carbs. I made lifestyle changes, a little at a time. I tried to eat healthier and move more. You can do this, too. You can make changes to look, and more importantly, feel healthier and fit. You don't have to be overweight to be unfit. You will feel a difference in strength, energy, stamina and flexibility. I'm talking to you, men, too!

I can tell you how I did it. Not everything I do will be right for you. Through posts about my progress; tips and ideas about nutrition and exercise; links to sites I like and find helpful, I hope to inspire others to get fit and healthy and encourage a community of support and an exchange of ideas. And have a little fun on the way! Much of our information will be about local Cape Ann sites - walking and bike routes, gyms, types of exercise, yoga studios, good buys on healthy food - but Guests and commenters from anywhere are welcome as well.

Okay, I know you all want to know. Right now I'm wearing a pair of Levis - size 8. A comfortable size 8!

Twenty year old daughter:
"Mom, why are you wearing my clothes?"
Mom: "Because I can!"

Monday, November 23, 2009

Abs Diet Power - Eggs

Here we go again!  Don't eat eggs, they'll kill you.  Eat eggs, they're good for you.

I eat them.  I actually eat more eggs these days than I used to.  When I started exercising more and paid closer attention to how I should be eating in terms of fueling my body for energy and strength, I found that the inexpensive egg is a power source for good protein.  Eggs supply all essential amino acids and provide several vitamins and minerals, including vitamin A, riboflavin, folic acid, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, choline, iron, calcium, phosphorus and potassium.  The egg is one of the few foods that naturally contain Vitamin D.

All of the Vitamin A, D and E, most all of the other nutrients, and half the protein are in the yolk.

And all of the fat and dietary cholesterol are in the yolk.  Good food/bad food.

Dietary cholesterol (cholesterol that you actually ingest) is different than blood cholesterol (cholesterol made by your body from ingested saturated fat and trans fat).  Foods loaded with saturated fat or trans fats can claim they contain zero cholesterol, but they're actually more of a threat to your heart and arteries than foods with a little cholesterol and less saturated fat.  In many articles that I've read, there is caution advised about consuming dietary fat if you have diabetes or already suffer from heart disease.

As always, I look at the big picture.  Do you avoid eggs, but chow down on shellfish, which is high in dietary cholesterol?  How many other things, like baked goods, do you eat that contain eggs?  In my opinion, and it's only my opinion because I'm not a doctor or nutritionist - if I'm doing my best to avoid saturated fats and other dietary cholesterol whenever possible, the protein and nutrients served up in eggs for the number of calories (about 70 in a large egg) are more beneficial than the minimal negative effect of the amount of dietary cholesterol in that egg.

Egg Beaters, liquid egg whites, real egg whites - in my mind, what's the point?  Sure, egg whites have no fat or cholesterol, but they also have half the protein and limited nutrients.  And taste - isn't the yolk what that's all about?

People have so many food facts, warnings and advisories thrown at them these days, it can be mind-numbing.  It can also create eating silliness.  People avoid a few real sugar calories in their coffee by using an artificial sweetener, but have that coffee with a gigantic muffin.  People use Egg Beaters to avoid dietary cholesterol, but serve them with bacon.  I used to do things like that.  Now I think, "How crazy is that?"

I can't emphasize these things enough:  Educate yourself - know what you're eating.  Use common sense and moderation.  Weigh the nutritional value against the negatives.  Read labels.   It won't take long before doing those things become second nature and healthy habits.

Egg Nutrition and Heart Disease : Eggs aren't the dietary demons they're cracked up to be (Harvard Medical School)

Good Eggs: For Nutrition, They're Hard to Beat - The egg is no longer a nutritional no-no By Kathleen M. Zelman, MPH, RD, LD at WebMD

No comments:

Post a Comment