I'm not a nutritionist. I'm not a fitness expert.

I am a 57 year old woman who has never felt more healthy and fit in my entire life. Five years ago, at 52, I weighed about 80 lbs. more than I do now. I felt much older, with stiff joints and back aches and no energy. And don't even ask about clothes!

My goal was not just weight loss, but to get healthier. I did not "go on a diet," I did not count calories or carbs. I made lifestyle changes, a little at a time. I tried to eat healthier and move more. You can do this, too. You can make changes to look, and more importantly, feel healthier and fit. You don't have to be overweight to be unfit. You will feel a difference in strength, energy, stamina and flexibility. I'm talking to you, men, too!

I can tell you how I did it. Not everything I do will be right for you. Through posts about my progress; tips and ideas about nutrition and exercise; links to sites I like and find helpful, I hope to inspire others to get fit and healthy and encourage a community of support and an exchange of ideas. And have a little fun on the way! Much of our information will be about local Cape Ann sites - walking and bike routes, gyms, types of exercise, yoga studios, good buys on healthy food - but Guests and commenters from anywhere are welcome as well.

Okay, I know you all want to know. Right now I'm wearing a pair of Levis - size 8. A comfortable size 8!

Twenty year old daughter:
"Mom, why are you wearing my clothes?"
Mom: "Because I can!"

Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Healthy Eating During the Holidays

Have you ever been on a diet, over-indulged at a dinner or party, and thought, "Well, I blew that - I'll start again Monday" - then loaded up on cookies, breads or sweets until Monday rolled around? (I'm writing what I know about!)

If you're not on a diet, you won't be programmed to think like that. If you're working on lifestyle changes - a special dinner or once-in-a-great-while party food is part of life! You enjoy a treat and the next day continue on your healthy eating habits.

I rarely dine out - I don't think you can maintain healthy eating habits if you dine out often. (And you can put the money you save towards a gym membership or new, smaller clothes!) A week or so ago I attended a yearly family and friends dinner at a restaurant. I wouldn't normally order onion rings - but someone else did and I had a few, just because they were there. I had a roll - not so much because I wanted the bread, but there was a fabulous (and healthy!) olive tapenade. I ordered French Onion Soup because I knew they made an outstanding soup - more bread and gobs of cheese. I was stuffed - and I had also ordered an entree! I ate a little of that - chicken scallopini in a lemon/butter sauce with capers, artichoke hearts and mushrooms, served over angel hair pasta - I brought the rest home and had it for dinner the next night. Nothing I ate was horrifically unhealthy when eaten occasionally - the lemon butter sauce was even light on the butter - but I felt so uncomfortably full and sluggish - a good reminder of how much better I feel when I don't over-indulge. The thing is - I enjoyed everything, but I don't have any cravings to eat like that again anytime soon. My brain has been re-framed to really enjoy the healthy food I normally eat and like how it makes me feel.

A good tip is to eat something filling at home before you go out - like a bowl of oatmeal. That will help prevent eating too much of whatever is being served - but go ahead and enjoy a taste of this and that. You won't put on ten pounds overnight, your cholesterol levels won't soar - unless, of course, you do it several times a week for the entire month of December!

Busyness during the holidays can also throw a workout schedule off track - way off some weeks! "I'll get back to it the first of the year." Don't let yourself fall into that! Do what you can, when you can - just don't give it up. I've slacked off a bit at Curves the past couple of weeks. But if Thursday rolls around and I haven't been yet that week - I don't say, "I'll wait until Monday." I get in that one day, even if it's Friday. Five or six days without a Wii Active workout and boy do I feel it! But it feels good when I do it and makes me glad I didn't put it off until Monday, or next week, or next year ...

No comments:

Post a Comment